A ketogenic diet is high in fat, moderate in proteins and low in carbohydrates. People on a keto vegan diet eat only plant-based food items such as fruits, grains and vegetables, and exclude animal-based foods such as poultry, dairy, eggs and meat.
Benefits of Vegan Ketogenic Diet
- Firstly, numerous health benefits connect with keto and vegan diet.
- Secondly, results from research found that keto vegan diet can decrease the risk of chronic health conditions like certain cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
- It was found that vegans have a 78% lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes and up to a 75% risk drop of high blood pressure.
- More successful results in losing weight are found in vegans than compared to people eating animal products.
- Following low-carbohydrates and high-fat diet can be a positive impact on our health.
- Lastly, ketogenic diet is well known for the effects seen in blood sugar level, weight loss and reduced risk of heart disease.
Foods to Exclude
In vegan ketogenic diet carbohydrates intake replaced with some proteins from vegan source and healthy fats.
Therefore, avoid animal food products such as seafood, poultry, eggs, meat.
- Seafood: Mussels, clams, shrimp, fish.
- Poultry and meat: Chicken, turkey, beef and pork.
- Eggs: Egg yolks and egg whites.
- Dairy: Yogurt, butter, milk.
Foods to Reduce
- Sugary drinks: Juice, chocolate milk, soda, sweet tea, smoothies, sports drinks.
- Starches and grains: Grains, rice, pasta, cereal, baked goods, bread.
- Sweeteners: Agave, white sugar, maple syrup, brown sugar.
- Fruits: All kind of fruits restricted. But a small number of fruits like berries are allowed.
- Starchy vegetables: Peas, potatoes, winter squash, sweet potatoes.
- High-carbohydrate alcoholic beverages: Wine, sweetened cocktails, beer.
- Legumes and beans: Kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans.
- Condiments and sauces: Marinades, sweet salad dressing, barbecue sauce.
- Low-fat diet foods.
- Highly processed foods.
In a keto vegan diet, carbohydrate restriction is varied because of the individual needs and health goals.
Foods to Consume
- Oils: Avocado oil, coconut oil, nut oil, olive oil.
- Coconut products: Unsweetened coconut, coconut cream, coconut milk.
- Seeds and nuts: Brazil nuts, chia seeds, hemp seeds, macadamia nuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts.
- Vegan protein source: Tempeh, full-fat tofu.
- Seed butter and nut: Cashew butter, almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower butter.
- Non-starchy vegetables: Cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, brussels sprouts, zucchini, leafy greens.
- Berries: Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries.
- Avocados: Guacamole, whole avocados.
- Diary full-fat: Cashew cheese, vegan butter, vegan cream cheese, coconut yogurt.
- Condiments: Lemon juice, spices, pepper, fresh herbs, nutritional yeast.
Keto diet cuts off food that vegans mainly depend on, like starchy vegetables and whole grains. Further, vegans can get calories from unprocessed foods but highly processed foods are avoided.
Snacks for vegan keto dieters
- Coconut fat bombs,
- Cocoa smoothie and coconut milk,
- Sliced cucumber topped with vena cheese cream,
- Coconut bars and nuts,
- Coconut flakes (dried),
- Pumpkin seeds (roasted),
- Trial mix with unsweetened coconut, seeds, mixed nuts,
- Olives with vegan cheese,
- Yogurt (coconut milk) with almonds chips,
- Coconut milk chopped almonds and yogurt topped,
- Celery sticks with almond butter topping,
- Olives stuffing with vegan cheese,
- Berries with coconut cream.
Side effects of the vegan ketogenic diet:
It is difficult switching to a ketogenic diet. Often causes keto flu and this transition from a high-carbohydrate diet to a ketogenic diet is a big challenge to our body. Hence unpleasant symptoms are seen when the body shifts from burning glucose to fat for energy.
- Poor concentration,
- Difficulty in sleeping,
- Muscle cramps.
Drawbacks on a vegan keto diet:
- Apart from the benefits, some potential drawbacks on a vegan keto diet.
- The diet may lead to contain less important nutrient if it is not planned carefully.
- Keto vegan diet lacks in nutrients such as vitamin D, vitamin B12, zinc, vitamin K2, omega-3 fats, calcium and iron.
- Compared to normal vegan diets, keto vegan diet is more restrictive. Therefore, it is quite difficult to supplement with extra minerals and vitamins to ensure that there is a balanced nutritional diet.
- Moreover, people on diet eating sprouts and fermented food products can enhance the availability of their nutrients.
- Alone food cannot be sufficient for vegan keto dieters hence supplements with minerals and vitamins are required.
Get enough sleep, stay hydrated, engage in light physical activities and consume fiber-rich food products can ease symptoms caused by keto flu. Moreover supplementing with some electrolytes potassium, sodium and magnesium can reduce symptoms like insomnia, headaches and muscle aches.
A vegan ketogenic diet is not suitable for people such as breastfeeding or pregnant women, athletes, suffering from type 1 diabetes, those having eating disorder. Further, consulting a healthcare professional or doctor if you are switching to vegan keto diet so that safety is maintained.
Low-carbohydrates, high-fat vegan ketogenic diet focuses on unprocessed, whole plant-based foods. Further, vegan keto diet linked with the benefits such as reduced diabetes risk, cardiac disease and weight loss. Other extra supplements are necessary to make sure that the vitamin D and B12 needs met, including nutrients and iron.
Did you find it helpful ?